Welcome to part two of my travels! I ran out of memory on my first blog but you can visit my old post here: http://www.wherewillmyfeettakemenext.blogspot.kr/

I love to travel and have a bucket list of countries I want to visit. On the top of my list currently are India, the USA, Cambodia, Peru and New Zealand (because I love Lord of the Rings haha).

I love taking photos so expect a lot of photos in my blogs!

Sunday, October 13, 2013

DMZ with Adventure Korea

DMZ
Yesterday, I went to the DMZ. I thought I should go because I am leaving in 4 months and I wanted to know more about both Korea's before leaving. I booked with adventure Korea. I like this company. The people in charge of tours seem to actually like their job. Unlike the guy from WINK. He always seems angry. They are also very organised unlike WINK.

I met the coach at 9am at Express bus terminal, whilst other met us a little later on at Hongdae. Then we headed for Imjingak. Unfortunately, there happened to be a bike festival that day so we were stuck waiting for the bikers to pass for 20 minutes. But, there was positive to this. It was more quiet than normal we were told.
Bike festival

Imjingak is strange. On one side there are buildings and monuments. On the other side this are fun fair rides. It seemed very touristy. There is a shrine for the north Koreans who cannot return home. This is so they can pray to their ancestors during important holidays. It seems strange that somewhere so important to people also sells DMZ cups and footballs.
DMZ
DMZ

The freedom bridge is where they exchange prisoners are the Korean war. People have written on ribbons and flags. Many are about the unification of the two Korea's. There was also the peace bell and pictures from a span of 60 years that relate to the DMZ.

Freedom bridge
We headed for Tongilchon (unification village) for lunch. Hardly any one liked lunch. It was of a good quality, but very traditional. If you don't like traditional Korean food then bring some food with you. There wasn't much to do here to be honest.

We then got on the coach to the third tunnel.We first watched a movie, which was mainly propaganda, before heading to the tunnel. The tunnel is quite a walk. At the end you look through a peep hole then go all the way back up. I felt bad for the tall people. The tunnel is not high, therefore they had to crouch down.

We then headed for the Dora observatory. Here you can look at North Korea. I didn't get any pictures. There is a line which you can't take photos in front of. It was interesting to see. The buildings were all white and seemed abandoned.
Dora observatory

North Korea
The last stop was Dorasan train station. This is the last station before the north and would link South Korea railways with the rest of the world if opened. It looks brand new and it is creepily quiet.
Dorasan station

Dorasan station

Empty station

We arrived back in Hongdae at 6. By this point I was so hungry I ran to a Indian restaurant. I am sure my Curry had red pepper paste in it though......

1 comment:

  1. I love that you are so independent, Laura! Solo adventures and travel can be good for the soul. Glad you got to see this part of Korea before leaving!

    ReplyDelete